I can’t wait for The Vegan Roadie Dustin Harder’s (@theveganroadie) new book, Epic Vegan: Wild and Over-the-Top Plant-Based Recipes. I’m sharing his recipe for Crab Rangoon Pizza, which includes homemade vegan cream cheese. But if you’re pressed for time, or just hungry, you can swap in your favorite store-bought!
Please note that some links in this post are affiliate links, which means if you click and make a purchase I could earn a commission. However, this is not a sponsored post and the opinions expressed here are my own. Photo and recipe by Dustin Harder. Shared with permission from Fair Winds Press, an imprint of Quarto Publishing Group.
Dreamy Creamy (Vegan) Cream Cheese
By May 31, 2019Published:
- Yield: 1½ cups
Tip from Dustin: The thickness and tanginess of the cream cheese increases slightly when refrigerated overnight or over a couple days, but it is delicious when eaten straight away too!
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight or boiled for 10 minutes and drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs sauerkraut
- 1 Tbs white miso
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions optional
- Add the cashews, milk, lemon juice, sauerkraut, miso, onion powder, and salt to a high-speed blender. Start blending on low speed and gradually increase the speed as more of the ingredients break down. This will take some time to get a nice smooth texture, but I promise you, it’s worth it!
- Periodically stop and scrape down the sides of the blender to make sure all of the ingredients are being incorporated. Be patient, and blend until smooth and creamy—it will take several minutes and some stopping and going.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the scallions, if using, until well incorporated. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Getting ready to make some Faux Crab Ragoons with some Lions Mane Mushrooms we foraged. Found your website and I will be using your Cashew Cream Cheese (Dreamy Creamy) repice to mix in to the filling. Just made your recipe and it is so Delicous. I am going to put it into the fridge to form up a bit, but I did scrape the blender and top off my multi grain toast with the leftovers and enjoyed Yumminess this morning. Thanks for the great recipe.
I’ve tried all kinds of vegan cream cheeze recipes over the years, but dang, never seen one that calls for sauerkraut. Is this the secret ingredient to bomb cream cheezus? Can’t wait to try it out!