A few months ago my booth at Green Fest San Fransisco was positioned directly across from the Follow Your Heart booth. The girls setting up probably got a little tired of me lingering around their table on the first day waiting for the show to start so I could buy four cartons – which is exactly what I did.
I can honestly say that Follow Your Heart’s VeganEgg is the simplest vegan egg I’ve worked with – just blend it with cold water and cook it. Pretty simple. The appearance and texture are spot-on, and with the right seasoning you can recreate all of your eggy favorites from quiche to French toast to straight up scrambled eggs. (See also: How to French Toast Everything)
Check out this Chilaquiles Verdes recipe featuring VeganEgg, and enter the giveaway below to win a carton of your very own – I’m choosing two winners!
Vegan Chilaquiles Verdes
By February 9, 2016Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Chilaquiles are basically breakfast nachos, and if you have to wake up in the morning, you might as well eat nachos, am I right?
- 8 medium tomatillos
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño halved
- 1/2 white onion separated into two halves
- pinch dried oregano
- pinch dried thyme
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 1 package corn chips
- 3 VeganEggs 3 level tbsp VeganEgg powder, 1.5 cups ice cold water
- 1/2 cup Vegan Gourmet Fiesta Blend Shreds or your favorite vegan cheese shreds
- 3 Tbs chopped white onion
- 1 Tbs cilantro optional
- Vegan Gourmet Sour Cream for garnish
- Place tomatillos, garlic, jalapeño, and onion in a large pot, add water to cover, and salt heavily. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until vegetables are soft and tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain half the cooking water, and allow to cool slightly.
- Transfer veg and boiling water to blender. Pulse until slightly pureed and add oregano, thyme, bay leaf, and broth. Continue to pulse until there are no more chunks left.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Pour in salsa verde and allow to bubble for a bit. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and reduces.
- Mix together 3 tbsp VeganEgg and 1.5 cups ice cold water, whisking until all lumps are gone
- Raise heat on salsa verde to medium, add in VeganEgg mixture and begin scrambling immediately. Cook for about 6 minutes until lumps begin to form in VeganEgg and add in tortillas. Cook, scrambling constantly, for additional 6 minutes or until VeganEgg is fully cooked. Sprinkle Vegan Gourmet Fiesta Blend cheese into mixture and allow to melt.
- Top each serving with chopped onion, cilantro, and Vegan Gourmet Sour Cream and serve.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Wow. This is the next one of your o so creative recipes that I will try. Will send you pictures of the final product. Thanks for having this wonderful blog in my life.