I posted a Jackfruit WTF FAQ a while back, which gives a general overview of what jackfruit is, how to cook it, and some ideas about how to use it (spoiler alert: put it on and inside of everything). If you’re new to this, or need a refresher, I recommend checking out that post.
Remember to buy young jackfruit in a can, in brine, not syrup. Your best bet is an Asian grocery store or world market, or you can also buy it online. You may even be able to find Upton’s Naturals jackfruit in a store near you. I do not recommend using fresh jackfruit for this recipe as it’s different in flavor and texture, and will be sweeter than you want it to be.
Smoky Jackfruit Hash
I wake up mega grumpy and tired, so I like to prep breakfast the night before so I have a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Cook your jackfruit and chop your sweet potatoes before you go to sleep and wake up to a smoky sweet hash that will knock that crabby look off your face.
- slow cooker or Instant Pot
- microwave (optional)
- 20 oz jackfruit if canned, drain it well
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos gluten-free, if desired
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced, about 2 potatoes
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts optional
- If using canned, drain the jackfruit and squeeze out as much of the water as you can.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over a medium flame, saute the garlic for 1 minute, then add the jackfruit and cook 3-4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the tomato puree, water, nutritional yeast, Braggs, tomato puree, maple syrup, onion powder, liquid smoke, paprika and salt.
- Stir the cooked jackfruit into the tomato mixture and transfer to a slow cooker. Cook on high, stirring every 15 mins or so, and adding water as needed. When the jackfruit is tender, after about 1 hour, remove from slow cooker and use two forks to shred it.
- If preparing the day before, transfer to a covered container and refrigerate.
- Place the diced sweet potatoes in a large microwave safe bowl with 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook on high until potatoes are tender, 8-10 minutes, drain and set aside. (If you prefer to bake until tender, go for it.)
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high flame. Saute onions until soft and translucent, 6-8 minutes, then add sweet potatoes, walnuts and jackfruit.
- Cook until potatoes begin to brown, 5-8 minutes. If needed, add a splash more of oil to finish cooking.
- Serve with toast and a dollop of vegan avocado cream.
I have never been able to find jackfruit in brine, so I’d love to make your Cannibal Corpse Pot!
I’ve never been able to find any jack fruit and I’m really wanting to try your hash recipe. It looks amazing!
So ready to try out jackfruit!
I live in south Florida and it grows here so I ate it fresh but I would totally try this hash
I’ve gotten BBQ jackfruit sandwiches and jackfruit tacos in restaurants that were delicious but have never tried cooking it myself!
Natalie! Jackfruit is kinda hard to find here without making a drive (yuck) to the Asian supermarkets (yay) in the burbs so I order it online sometimes. My last jackfruit treat was a spin on your cannibal corpse crockpot w/some of my partner’s homemade tomato jam. Super rad sandwiches! Thx for the badass recipe =^.^=
Mmmm…Jackfruit rocks my world!!
Ive never used it, I would love to try one of your recipes!
I have not cooked with jack fruit. But, I tried it at the Vegan Beer and Food Fest in LA. I will try the recipe above, it looks so good!
I would love to use it in BBQ tacos.
I actually got super inspired by your last jackfruit post, and made BBQ jackfruit for the first time this summer (although I realized I had no BBQ sauce, so I decided to make it, then I had no ketchup, and found a killer BBQ sauce recipe without, although THEN I realized I was missing another important ingredient and had to make it from scratch as well… totally worth it!)
No, I have never cooked with it. I would make Jackfruit Carnitas!
Darling, I’ve never tried it, but I’m about to put some jackfruit in & on everything. If I ever run into you somewhere out in those mean streets of Chicago, I’ll tell you all about it.
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit sandwiches FTW 🙂
I have not cooked with jackfruit. If I win I’ll try your recipe here.
I was just on vacation in LA and had lunch at Organix. They had cans and cans of jackfruit staring at me and I considered carting on the airplane ride home. I totally wish I had! It would be amazing to try something new!
I would love to make a breakfast hash!!
I would love to try this Jack Hash or the Canibal Corpse Crock-Pot from the BxD cookbook!
Im s8 excited to try this!
I’ve never cooked with it before but I’m itching to try all the copycat “pulled pork” recipes I’ve seen floating around.