Natalie’s note: Digging this one out of the archives in honor of Pie Day!
The other day (October 26, to be exact,) was my friend Phil’s birthday. Most of the world knows him has the lovable jerk CM Punk, harasser of bosses and The Best in the World. I know him as the lovable jerk who is notoriously difficult to birthday shop for. I think gift-wise I did pretty OK this year, but the cake is always the hardest part.
See, CM Punk hates frosting. It’s a debate we’ve had going since we met years ago. When he was making his way through the indie circuit I’d usually make him an angel food cake with fresh fruit, and real cake for everyone else we lived with. The last few years I made him cookies. But this year I happened to get my hands on a copy of Vegan Pie in the Sky by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero right before the big day and decided to try my hand at a vegan Boston cream cake pie. It’s frosting-free, but with a layer of vanilla custard and another layer of ganache it’s definitely no angel food cake. Plus, Punk’s always been open-minded about eating vegan food so I knew he’d try it.
I got permission from Terry Hope Romero, who calls her kitchen The CM Punk Kitchen (Post-Punk Kitchen joke…) to share the recipe with you guys – so give it a try! It was a challenge for sure, but that’s what makes pie-baking so fun. Take a deep breath and read ALL the instructions before you get started.
Vegan Boston Hardcore Pie
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup plain soy milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Vanilla Cookie Crust
- 1 & 3/4 cups finely ground vegan vanilla wafers (I used Back to Nature)
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 4 Tbs melted margarine (I use melted coconut oil, or you could use canola oil)
- 1 Tbs plain non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- First, make the cake. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and spray your 9″ pie pan with baking spray.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and form a well in the center. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the soy milk, apple cider vinegar, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to stir together until just mixed.
- Transfer the batter to the pie dish and bake 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. It might look shiny, but that’s OK. Cool the cake in the pie plate on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Invert the cake. Place a large dinner plate over the cake, wearing oven mitts, grab the pie pan and dish, and flip it over. You might need to tap the bottom of the pan to get the cake out onto the plate. Cover the warm cake with plastic wrap and set it aside.
- Wash and dry the pie pan and spray it with more baking spray.
- Make the cookie crust. In a mixing bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and sugar. Drizzle in the melted margarine (or oil) and use a spoon to mix, moistening the crumbs. Drizzle in the soy milk and stir again. The dough should be crumbly.
- Press the crust into the pie pan, pressing it into the sides first and working your way down. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and let it cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Make the vanilla creme
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Trader Joe’s)
- 2 Tbs margarine
- Prepare the ganache. In a small saucepan, bring the soy milk to a rapid simmer for 1 minute over medium heat. Turn off the flame and use a rubber spatula to stir in the chocolate chips and margarine. Continue to stir until the chips are melted and the texture is very smooth. Pour the ganache onto the center of the cake and use a spatula to spread it over the top.
- Return the cake to the fridge and chill for at least 3 hours before serving, overnight is best.
Boston Hardcore Pie
By March 13, 2015Published:
This is the recipe for the vanilla creme layer.
- 6 oz silken tofu drained
- 1 generous pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cup soy milk divided
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp agar powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 2 Tbs coconut oil room temperature
- In a blender, combine the tofu, salt, vanilla extract, lemon juice and almond extract. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides. Set this aside for a moment.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of the soy milk and the agar powder. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 30 seconds. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sugar.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of soy milk and the cornstarch. Slowly pour this into the simmering soy milk mixture and stir constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil and stir until melted.
Scrape the cooked mixture into the blender with the tofu. Puree until everything is very smooth. Scrape the sides down with a rubber spatula occasionally.
- Prepare the ganache.
- When the filling feels firmer to the touch, unwrap the inverted cake layer and carefully slide it onto the pie so it's centered on top of the filling.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Someday, when I’m feeling like a nice girlfriend, I’ll make this. X’s and all.
but vanilla extract has alcohol in it!
(yes, i’ve met some straight edge people who avoided even vanilla extracts. it boggles my mind. luckily they make a vanilla paste that’s alcohol free.)
happy birthday mr. punk!
Ahem. <-- click.
Thanks for recommending us! We think we bake well, too (not us personally, our tofu!). We can be found at all Chicago Whole Food stores.
Any suggestions for what to use in place of almond extract? I am allergic to almonds and I have no clue what kind of flavor the extract imparts or what to use instead, if anything at all. Thanks for your help! ~Liz
You could leave it out since it’s such a small amount, or use more vanilla.
THE COOKIE RECIPE IS ON THE BOTTOM .HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!!=PP.s. just get cake mix, a stick of butter, an egg, and an oven set on 350 makes the best cokieos .FUDGY CHOCOLATE CAKE1. Finely grate 6 oz. of white chocolate onto a plate. and chill until needed. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.2. Grease base of two 8-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper. Combine 2 sticks of unsalted butter, 1 cup sugar, 1and 1/2 cup all purpose flour, and 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, plus, 1tbsp. baking powder, 1tsp salt, and 4 eggs in a large bowl. use an electric mixer and beat until smoothe. Divide batter between pans.3. Bake cakes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted about 20 to 25 min.4. while cakes cool heat 1/2 a pint of heavy cream to a boil and break 10 and 1/2 oz. of semisweet chocolate into pieces and add into cream stirring till melted. Let cool and chill for 30 min. then whisk until thickened to spreadable consistency.5. use a third of chocolate frosting to sanwhich cakes. spread the remainder over one whole cake and sprinkle the white chocolate you grated to garnish ..IngredientsBrioche Bread Pudding:Butter, room temperature4 eggs3/4 cup whole milk3/4 cup heavy cream1 tablespoon vanilla extract1 teaspoon lemon zest1/2 cup sugar, plus more for dusting and topping4 large slices brioche bread2 cups mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries), plus more for garnishLemon Fondant:2 cups powdered sugar2 tablespoons water2 lemons, zested and juicedDirectionsButter and sugar 6 (6-ounce) ramekins. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and sugar. Combine well with a whisk then let it settle so there are no air bubbles on the surface otherwise these will cause lumps in your anglaise. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Tear the brioche up into large pieces using your hands, add to the custard mixture and toss to combine. Equally divide the berries among the ramekins and top with the bread mixture. Gently press down so they are packed evenly. Sprinkle with more sugar, then refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes to let soak. Bake for 25 minutes in the center of the oven. The pudding is ready when it has puffed up and the custard is set. The top should be a nice golden color. Remove and allow to cool slightly. Make the fondant. In a mixing bowl combine sifted powdered sugar, water, lemon zest and juice. Once the pudding has cooled slightly, invert onto an individual serving plate. Drizzle the lemon fondant over warm bread pudding and serve with extra fresh berries.Lemon Curd Trifle with Fresh BerriesIngredients6 large egg yolks1 cup sugar4 lemons, zested and juiced1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut in chunks1 pint fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved lengthwise1 pint fresh blueberries1 pint fresh blackberries2 cups sweetened whipped cream1 prepared lemon pound cake, sliced1/4 cup Lemoncello or Grand Marnier liqueur (optional)Fresh mint leaves, for garnishDirectionsTo make the lemon curd: Bring a pot of water to a simmer over medium-low heat. Combine the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a metal or glass heat-resistant bowl and whisk until smooth. Set the bowl over the simmering water, without letting the bottom touch, and continue to whisk. Keep working-out that arm and whisk it vigorously for a good 10 minutes, until the curd has doubled in volume and is very thick and yellow. Don’t let it boil. Remove the bowl from heat and whisk in the butter, a couple of chunks at a time, until melted. Refrigerate until the custard is cold and firm. To build the trifle: put the berries in a mixing bowl and toss them together so they are evenly distributed. Fold the whipped cream into the chilled lemon curd to lighten it up into a mousse. Line a glass trifle bowl with pieces of pound cake to fit. Drizzle or brush the cake with the Lemoncello, spoon a layer of the lemon curd over the cake, and then a layer of mixed berries. Repeat the layers until the ingredients are used up, the last layer looks best if it’s the berries. Chill before serving. Garnish with fresh mintTHE BEST KEY LIME EVERmix 2 pkg, of 16 oz, cream cheese SOFTENED, 1/2 a cup sugar,2 1/2 tbs, lime juice, 1 tsp. lime peel, and 1 tsp. vanilla in an electric mixer until blended. add 2 eggs and mix till blended.pour into any kind of pie crust ( home made graham cracker and butter prefered). bake to 350 degrees for 40 min, until center is almost set.cool and refrigerate over night. and garnist with whip cream and lime.last but not leastSTRAWBERRY SHORTCUTToss 6 sliced strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar and let stand 10 min. tossing until sugar dissolves. cut each slice of 1pkg Sara Lee pound cake intohalf horisontally and place 1 cake piece on each of 12 desert plates.CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease two large baking sheets.2. Combine a stick of butter, 1/2 a cup of sugar, and 1/2 a cup of packed brown sugar in a large bowl. beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until creamy. Beat in an egg and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.3. Sift 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp. baking soda in a separate small bowl. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating continuously and stir in the 1/2 cup of rolled oats and 1 and 1/4 cups chocolate chunks.4. Spoon tablespoon fulls of the dough two inches apart on the baking sheets and bake cokieos until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. let cokieos cool for 1 minute and repeat with remaining dough hope you enjoy!~Brittany~p.s. if ur allergic to oats those are able to come out but cook on a lower temp.email me for more recipes if you like these!!!!! = D