This recipe has been very polarizing to my Instagram followers, and I get it – you either love or hate green bean casserole. Clearly I love it enough to have turned it into a pizza, but I do urge those of you who think you hate it to give it a shot in this form. If you’re transporting this to a holiday feast, I recommend wrapping the cooled, par-baked crust in plastic wrap and storing the topping in an air-tight container. Then, assemble this beast and finish cooking it just before dinner. Want more recipes like this? Check out my book, Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans.
Vegan Green Bean Casserole Pizza
By November 2, 2014Published:
- Yield: 1 - 12 (6-8 Servings)
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
You'll have to buy my book to find my favorite recipe for a chewy, yummy crust (and about 90 other fantastic vegan recipes) so for now, use your favorite recipe or visit your local pizza shop and buy some from them!
- 1 12 inch pizza crust
- 2 Tbs salt + 1 tsp for later use
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans trimmed & halved
- 2 Tbs vegan butter
- 1/2 lb white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt or whiz 1 cup (8 oz) of silken tofu together w/ 1 & 1/2 Tbs of fresh lemon juice in a food processor
- 3/4 cup fried onions + more for topping
- Pre-cook crust in a 450 degree oven for 5 mins and set aside.
- Bring a gallon of water and 2 Tbs of salt to boil. Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes, then drain and plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 tsp salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms start to give up some liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and nutmeg and cook 1-2 more minutes. Add flour and stir. Cook for 1 minute, then add the vegetable stock and simmer.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the soy yogurt (or tofu). Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally – about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup of fried onions and the green beans. Spread over prepared pizza crust and bake 10-15 minutes until crust is golden and toppings are hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with more fried onions to taste.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress