This recipe has been very polarizing to my Instagram followers, and I get it – you either love or hate green bean casserole. Clearly I love it enough to have turned it into a pizza, but I do urge those of you who think you hate it to give it a shot in this form. If you’re transporting this to a holiday feast, I recommend wrapping the cooled, par-baked crust in plastic wrap and storing the topping in an air-tight container. Then, assemble this beast and finish cooking it just before dinner. Want more recipes like this? Check out my book, Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans.
Vegan Green Bean Casserole Pizza
By November 2, 2014Published:
- Yield: 1 - 12 (6-8 Servings)
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
You'll have to buy my book to find my favorite recipe for a chewy, yummy crust (and about 90 other fantastic vegan recipes) so for now, use your favorite recipe or visit your local pizza shop and buy some from them!
- 1 12 inch pizza crust
- 2 Tbs salt + 1 tsp for later use
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans trimmed & halved
- 2 Tbs vegan butter
- 1/2 lb white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt or whiz 1 cup (8 oz) of silken tofu together w/ 1 & 1/2 Tbs of fresh lemon juice in a food processor
- 3/4 cup fried onions + more for topping
- Pre-cook crust in a 450 degree oven for 5 mins and set aside.
- Bring a gallon of water and 2 Tbs of salt to boil. Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes, then drain and plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 tsp salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms start to give up some liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and nutmeg and cook 1-2 more minutes. Add flour and stir. Cook for 1 minute, then add the vegetable stock and simmer.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the soy yogurt (or tofu). Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally – about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup of fried onions and the green beans. Spread over prepared pizza crust and bake 10-15 minutes until crust is golden and toppings are hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with more fried onions to taste.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
nom nom….that looks so easy to make…..and tasty
For non-vegans, is it possible to use plain Greek yogurt instead of soy yogurt?
Sure, you could use Greek yogurt, or even Greek-style kefir.
I love pizza. A lot. Every time someone has a birthday party I’m there eating their pizza.
Just made this. You are a genius.
Thank you, come again! 😉