This is one of my favorite and most-used recipes from my book! Pour it over nachos and baked potatoes, dip your chips in it or bake it into a casserole. This zesty sauce has just enough heat to let you know you’re eating nacho “cheese,” but not enough to blow your taste buds off. Of course, if you’re looking to make your mouth explode, just keep piling on the chipotle peppers and don’t come crying to me when your body rebels against you.
Vegan Nacho Chee-Zee Sauce
- high speed blender
- 1/4 cup cashews soaked & drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 & 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Place the cashews in a heat proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for 15 minutes, then drain.
- Place all ingredients, including soaked cashews into a high speed blender, and blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to boil.
- Turn the heat down to medium, and continue to cook and stir until you reach the desired consistency. You might be able to skip this step, as the high heat often thickens the cheese sauce quickly.
- Remove from heat and use while hot.