I nearly fell off my chair when Laura from Banana Curl Vegan Girl sent me this one! Heart of palm are the star of the show in this smoky, savory recipe. Pro tip: Look for vegan Worcestershire sauce in cheapy stores like Dollar Tree! Check out all of my Vegan Super Bowl Snack Party posts here!
Vegan Super Bowl Snack Party: Bacon-Wrapped Scallops Recipe
By January 13, 2014Published:
- Yield: 8-12 Servings
I nearly fell off my chair when Laura from Banana Curl Vegan Girl sent me this one! Heart of palm are the star of the show in this …
- 1 package tempeh
- 4 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 Tbs Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 3 stalks canned hearts of palm
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kelp granules or more Old Bay
- 1 Tbs oil
- Slice tempeh into 10-12 long, thin pieces and place in a zip-top bag with the soy sauce, maple syrup, Liquid Smoke, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and smoked paprika. Seal bag and gently toss to coat the tempeh. Place in the refrigerator. Allow this to marinate for at least an hour, shaking the bag every 15 minutes or so to evenly distribute flavors.
- Meanwhile, slice the hearts of palm into 1.5" slices so they resemble scallops. Place slices in a bowl and toss with lemon juice, Old Bay and kelp granules. Cover with plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator. Toss them around every time you shake the tempeh so that they soak up the marinade.
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 F.
- When the bacon is done marinating, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and place the tempeh in a single layer. Do not put any extra marinade or liquid into the pan. Just the marinated tempeh.
- Take the coconut palm sugar or brown sugar and sprinkle onto the pieces of tempeh. Rub it a bit into the tempeh with your fingers. This will make the tempeh bacon more like actual bacon in my opinion. It ends up getting crispy, sticky and extra delicious when done.
- Cook for ten minutes, then start working on the hearts of palm. This will take you about 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a smallish frying pan. Place the hearts of palm (without the marinade liquid) into the pan and sprinkle with some extra Old Bay, maybe some salt if you desire too. Be very careful as it may splatter a bit. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the tempeh from the oven and let it cool until you're able to handle it. When you can handle the tempeh bacon with your hands, take one heart of palm piece and one slice of tempeh bacon. Wrap the bacon around the circle…if it breaks it’s ok, just finagle the toothpick into it so that it sticks on as well as you can.
- Thee are best served warm, so pop them into a toaster oven or under the broiler to heat before eating.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
hey! thanks for posting this! So exciting!!!
Also just wanted to mention for your readers that Annie’s Organics makes a vegan Worcestershire sauce, which is what I used. I think there might be some recipes for making your own on the internet as well!