I first made these cupcakes on The Perfect 3 with Kelsey Nixon on The Cooking Channel. All you need is stuff you probably already have in your kitchen – bananas, cinnamon, maple syrup and a few other things.
Banana Bread French Toast Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup overripe banana mashed
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup vegan milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted & chopped
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 6 Tbs vegan butter
- 6 Tbs vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with paper liners.
- Toast walnuts in a 350 degree oven for just a few minutes – 4-5 should do the trick. Cool, then chop into small pieces.
- Throw your mashed banana in a blender or or just smash it with a fork.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and sugar into a large bowl, mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oil, soy or rice milk, vanilla, almond and mashed banana.
- Stir or fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Small lumps are fine. Finally, add the walnuts, folding gently.
- Fill liners 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
- To make the vegan maple buttercream frosting, beat together all of the ingredients until light & fluffy.