This recipe is still a work in progress, I was asked to make a vegan version of the “Joel” cakes from last week. The flavor proportions need tweaking, the general consensus is less ginger in the cake and less orange in the frosting. So I’m still working on it.
For the cupcakes you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 cup diced apple, whatever kind you like best
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup soy yogurt
- 3/4 cup soy milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line pan with paper liners.
2. Sift together the flour, ground ginger, baking powder and salt into a small bowl. Stir in the candied ginger and apples.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil and yogurt until there are no lumps. Alternately beat in flour mixture and soy milk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of milk. Beat until smooth.
4. Scoop batter into pan and bake 22-26 minutes or until golden brown and top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
For the buttercream you will need:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp pure orange extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/4 cup soy milk
1. Cream the shortening and margarine until well combined.
2. Add the sugar and clove and beat for about 3 more minutes.
Add orange extract, vanilla and soy milk and beat for 5 more minutes until fluffy.
And remember, kids, save a turkey, eat a cupcake.