This modified recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
makes two dozen cupcakes, more than I usually make at once but I’m making a dozen for Filter’s last week end and a dozen to decorate as monsters for a friend’s party. So if you only need a dozen, half this recipe- duh. You’ll still have a crapload of frosting, but if you like to pile it on you’ll be glad.
For the cupcakes you will need:
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil*
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
*If you’re using lemon extract or juice you’ll need more than this- about 3 teaspoons.
Preheat oven to 350, line pans with paper liners. Whisk together soy milk and vinegar in large bowl and set aside to curdle. Beat together soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, almond and lemon extracts. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Mix wet and dry ingredients until no large lumps remain. Mix in lemon zest. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake 20-22 minutes.
For the lemon buttercream you will need:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In a small bowl, cream the shortening and margarine until well combined. Add the sugar in 1/2 cup additions. After each addition add a splash of lemon juice and beat well with a handheld mixer. Add vanilla and beat for another 3-5 minutes until smooth, creamy and fluffy.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click and make a purchase I might earn a small commission.