You’ve probably noticed my affinity for orange. I can’t help it, it combines really well with so many other flavors I tend to throw it in everything lately. Truth be told, I recently acquired about 2 lbs. of vegan chocolate chips from Wild Oats and wanted a way to incorporate them into a cupcake without going overboard on the chocolate. July does tend to be hot, after all, and as delicious as chocolate is it’s not always the best thing on a hot day. So when Tony, Teno and I were invited to a friend’s house for the 4th, I figured it was the cupcake gods telling me now was the time to bust out those chocolate chips. This recipe is similar to the one I previously posted for vegan creamcicle cupcakes but with a few small alterations.
For the cupcakes you will need:
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp pure orange extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside until it curdles.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a smaller bowl.
- Whisk together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, orange and vanilla extracts.
- Mix in the sifted dry ingredients and mix until no large lumps remain.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
For the orange vegan buttercream you will need:
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 3/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
Beat shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add orange extract and soymilk, beat for another 5 to 7 minutes or so until fluffy.