These are adapted from Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero’s Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World which, I can’t say enough, is such an AWESOME book.
I added a few things and a few steps to make these really dreamcicle-like, subtly orange and vanilla flavored, and I think they turned out pretty tasty.
For the cupcakes you will need:
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure orange extract or orange oil (oil is going to bring a stronger orange flavor)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with papers. I used orange papers from Confectionery House.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside until it curdles.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl and mix.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy, be careful not to over-beat or the margarine will melt. Beat in orange and vanilla extracts, then alternate between flour mixture and soy ilk mixture, beating until no large lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
The recipe for fluffy vegan buttercream can be found here.
I set aside about 1 cup of the frosting, because this recipe makes about 4 cups, and added to it a few drops of orange oil and some orange food coloring. Then I filled each cupcake with some orange frosting, using a pastry bag fitted with a straight tip. Reserve the rest for decoration. Frost the cupcakes with the buttercream however you like, with a spatula or by piping and then decorate with the orange frosting, which will not only look cute, but will add a pop of orange flavor to each bite.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click and make a purchase I might earn a small commission.
All of my vegan baking has been a damn mess! I went to a vegan bakery in NYC recently & noticed the cupcakes were more cornbread-like or grittier than cupcakes with dairy.
just wanted to say, I’m a fan of your blog. woohoo! yay!
that is all. 😉
Thanks, that’s really nice to hear. Much appreciated!
I know someone who’s making these today. (Kiki)
How many cupcakes does this recipe make?