I tweaked the chocolate peanut butter cupcakes recipe loved by my in-laws to make them vegan for my stubborn friend Nate who refuses to stop being vegan for my convenience. I was a little worried because I’ve never really “made” something vegan, I always use vegan recipes, but I have to say these turned out pretty much exactly like their non-vegan cousins. I topped these with vegan peanut butter fudge frosting, a change for me, the Queen of Buttercream. I think that’s why I wasn’t a fan but my husband loved it. I dunno, frosting just isn’t the same. I need at least an entire stick of butter in there to make me happy. Regardless, here’s the recipe…
You will need:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips*
- In a small bowl, mix together flour cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a bowl, beat together granulated and brown sugars and margarine until well combined. Add peanut butter, beating until smooth. Beat in apple sauce and vanilla until mixture is smooth. Alternately beat in flour mixture and soy milk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of milk, beating until until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool completely on a rack.
*Check the labels, you shouldn’t have to make a special trip to stupid Whole Foods if you look for dark chocolate chips or even some cheaper brands won’t have milk products in them.
The frosting recipe is in the frostings and fillings section.
PS I topped these with some of my one-year-old’s cookies. We’re having a horror movie-a-thon tonight and I just couldn’t think of any easy way to decorate to match. So instead I just went for offensive points.
Check out my Etsy shop for t-shirts!