My cousins don’t always ask for vegan cupcakes, but when they do, it’s these vegan cupcakes. In fact, I turned this recipe into a kit for my cousin Mike’s birthday he was such a fan. I personally love these topped with a salty peanut butter buttercream, but a dark chocolate ganache is nice, too. Why not both?
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat together granulated and brown sugars and margarine until well combined.
- Add peanut butter, beating until smooth.
- Beat in apple sauce and vanilla until mixture is smooth.
- Alternately beat in flour mixture and soy milk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of milk, beating until until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Let cool completely on a rack.