Last night I was in a pinch – Tony had purchased fresh corn tortillas for tacos, and I had Upton’s Naturals Chorizo Seitan, avocado, and other taco stuff… but no cheese. No problem – I can just whip up a batch of Nacho Chee-Zee Sauce from my book, right? Well guess what, Natalie? You’re out of cashews and you already have all the other ingredients in the blender, what are you going to do? I’m gonna add sesame seeds, that’s what.
Yep, it’s a simple swap, made with an inexpensive (and allergy-friendly) ingredient I already have on hand thanks to seed cycling. If you just want a cheddar-y sauce, omit the pepper and add a squirt of yellow mustard or a dash of apple cider vinegar. For a spicier sauce, add some of your favorite hot sauce.
Nut-Free Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
By September 5, 2019Published:
- Yield: 3 cups
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 15 mins
Literally the same recipe as my Nacho Chee-Zee Sauce but with sesame seeds instead of cashews. But y'all asked for this. If you don't have raw sesame seeds on hand you could also use tahini.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
- 2 Tbs corn starch
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 & 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Visible specks of pepper are fine.
- Transfer to a saucepan and cook over high heat, whisking constantly, until the cheese starts to bubble.
- Reduce heat to medium, and keep whisking until thickened (usually 3-4 minutes - but keep an eye on it because it might take less than that).
- Remove from heat and serve. If you're making it ahead of time, let it cool before storing it in the fridge in an airtight container. Store up to one week.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress