Once in a while I get my hands on a cookbook that I just cannot stop using. Julie Hasson’s Vegan Casseroles is one of them, and Chloe Coscarelli’s Vegan Italian Kitchen is my latest. I’ve tried a handful of the recipes, each of which I would absolutely make again. You don’t really need any hard-to-find ingredients, and if you have a good blender or food processor, most of them come together quickly and easily for a really impressive meal. I shared my version of this dish on Instagram not too long ago and asked Chloe if I could share the recipe here. If nothing else, you’re going to hang this Shiitake Bacon recipe on your fridge so you can make it every week!
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced (about ¼ inch thick)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for about 30 minutes, turning frequently with a spatula, until lightly browned and crisp.
Do you have a favorite vegan cookbook? Tell me in the comments!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive compensation. However, I only recommend products I have tested myself and approved of.
Pasta Carbonara with Shiitake Bacon
By February 9, 2015Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
This creamy pasta sauce is made with tofu instead of dairy. Topped with meaty, salty mushroom bacon it's a hearty dish that's easy to make.
- 1 lb long pasta spaghetti, linguine, fettuccine
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 14 oz soft tofu
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 & 1/2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and let cook until soft. Add garlic and let cook a few more minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a blender, combine onion, garlic, tofu, water, lemon juice, and salt. Process on high until very smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add sauce to pasta and toss to coat. Season with pepper and add more salt to taste. Let pasta sit for about 5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken slightly. Top with shiitake bacon, parsley, Parmesan topping, if using, and serve.
- NOTE: If sauce thickens too much as it sits, reconstitute the pasta by adding a little water or nondairy milk. Stir over medium heat until smooth. Adjust seasoning again to taste.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress