I am lucky enough to be attending the launch party for Heather Crosby‘s YumUniverse: Infinite Possibilities for a Gluten-Free, Plant-Powerful, Whole-Food Lifestyle. (If you’re planning to be in Chicago on November 7th you should come too!) On her blog Heather not only tackles plant-based meals, but also gluten-free, which can be a tough combo, so I can’t wait to get my hands on her gorgeous new book.
I had the opportunity to sneak a peek, though, and chose the recipe I’m most excited to make at home to share with you here. If you’re dying to see more of Heather’s recipes, as well as a few from Happy Herbivore and other amazing plant-based bloggers, you can download a free e-book from BenBellaVegan.com.
Gluten-Free Tart Crust
1 cup almond flour
1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons coconut oil*
3 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 325°F and lay out two baking sheetsized pieces of parchment paper on the counter.
- With a fork, mix together crust ingredients until it crumbles and dough begins to stick together. Use your hands to form a ball and place it on one sheet of parchment paper. Place the other sheet of parchment on top and roll out until ¼” thickness. Peel back top parchment and use a knife, more rolling, and hands to sculpt a nice rectangle (or whatever shape you’d like) directly on the bottom sheet of parchment. Slide the parchment paper and crust onto a baking sheet.
- Prebake crust for 10 minutes.
The sweet, honey taste of fresh figs is magic when paired with caramelized onions and lemon cashew cheese. When it’s not fig season, try using apples or pears instead.
2 teaspoons coconut oil*
1 packed cup red onion, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon Sucanat
3 – 5 ripe figs (any kind), sliced thinly
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
Pinch sea salt
- In a pan heated to medium-high, add coconut oil, onion, and Sucanat and stir often for 7 minutes, or until onion caramelizes and browns.
- Once crust is removed from the oven, spread with Lemon Cashew Cheese and layer on onions and figs. Sprinkle with thyme and a pinch of sea salt.
- Pop back in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let tart cool on the baking sheet for about 7 minutes, slice, and serve warm or at room temperature.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive compensation.
Lemon Cashew Cheese
By October 6, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
I am lucky enough to be attending the launch party for Heather Crosby's YumUniverse: Infinite Possibilities for a Gluten-Free, …
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs water
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- While the crust is baking, add all Lemon Cashew Cheese ingredients into the blender. Blend together until smooth. Set aside.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress